Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Video Killed the Radio Star

When you have a blog with as few comments as this one, you can give every comment the kind of personal attention it deserves. This one came through from an anonymous commenter:

Noel, have you considred making a DVD video tutorial of your book? This will really help those who learn by watching videos.

So what do you say?

The short answer is not as any kind of official adjunct to the book. The longer answer is that it's not impossible that I'd be involved in online video or screencast training at some point in the future.

There are several issues here: logistical, legal, whether anybody would even be interested in such a thing, whether having my face on the cover is enough "me" for most people... all kinds of issues.

Logistically, the problem is that doing video well requires a lot of planning, equipment, and effort. I don't know much about it, but I know enough to say that it's probably more complicated than than I expect. Even a simple screencast involves scripting, time for filming, and editing.

Legally, Wiley/Wrox owns the copyright on the book, and while they might be okay with a short video clip that was clearly promotional, I'm not sure they'd be ok with me repurposing the book's content in bulk. On the other hand, I've never asked -- it's possible they'd see it as a marketing possibility. I don't remember the specific details of my contract, but I'm pretty sure that Wiley retains rights for any alternate media versions of the book. Which would be kind of a bummer for me if Spielberg called for the film rights.

All that said, the idea of some kind of screen cast, webinar, or video coming out of Pathfinder is not out of the question, although I don't see it happening in the near future.

Thanks for the question, Anon!